Charcoal grilling is an improved method of cooking from time immemorial on which cooked food always provides excellent taste experience. Coal is a residue prepared by burning natural wood that gives flame to your charcoal grill.
But, most of the trouble comes when you start burning charcoal in a charcoal grill. A simple way can end your complete match in burning fire, so what can you do in such a situation?
Don’t upset, as the solution to this difficulty is an efficient and Classy Charcoal Chimney Starter. This is a great way to reduce the difficulty and duration of the preparation steps for the grilling process.
In this article, we will analyze some of the best options available in the market, which will help you to buy a great chimney starter. So let’s see which is the best option that you are going to take home today.
Comparison Chart for Top 10 Charcoal Chimney Starters
|Product||Heat Up Time(mts)||Diameter(in)||Height(in)|
|Weber 7429 Rapid Fire||20 to 25||7.5||13|
|Oklahoma Joe Half-Time||15 to 20||12||7.8|
|Weber 7447 Compact||15||5.75||8|
|Dragon BBQ Chimney||–||6||11|
|Beau Jardin Chimney Starter||15 to 20||7||11|
|Homenote Rapid||8 to 10||7||11.5|
|Charcoal Companion Black||15||7||10.8|
|Weber 7416 Rapidfire||20 to 25||7||12|
Which are the 10 Best Charcoal Chimney Starters in 2020?
1. Weber 7429 Rapidfire Chimney Starter
Weber is a trusted name and is quite famous for its outdoor cooking equipment. That is why we have included the Weber Rapid Fire 7429 Chimney Starter in our list and believe that this fire starter is going to be very useful for you. It is much more popular and confidant, which will make your grilling session easier and faster.
With this, you will be able to power the grill within about 20 to 25 minutes. Its cone-shaped internal grate design helps to increase the rate of heat at which a charcoal stack can be ignited by providing optimal airflow.
Its body is made of aluminated steel coated with aluminum-silicon alloy hot-dip on each side. Its unique combination of steel and aluminium does a great job of illuminating your coals.
It has a big heat protector added around the handle to reduce the risk of accidents. Its two-grip design provides maximum control in putting the burnt charcoal inside the grill.
It is 12 inches in diameter and 7.5 inches high, which allows enough coals to be burned at one time. It is designed to last for decades with proper care.
- A stay-cool thermoplastic handle has been added to it.
- It comes with a simple, straightforward and effective design.
- The aluminized steel used in it is very durable.
- Two handles and a durable shield have been added to it to maximize safety.
- Its cone-shaped internal grate helps to intensify coal light.
- It comes at an affordable price.
- Its handle is made of plastic that does not stand up to heating well.
2. Oklahoma Joe's 9848125R04 Half-Time Charcoal Starter
If you use a large-capacity charcoal grill and for which you’re looking for a large charcoal starter, believe it there is nothing better than Oklahoma’s 9848125R04 half-time charcoal starter. It comes in an XL size that helps you add maximum fire to the grill at the same time.
If you use a large lump in your charcoal grill or kamado grill, this will be perfect for you. Its 12-inch diameter and 8-inch length are enough to fit 100 light charcoal briquettes or a generous amount of outright charcoal.
Its Innovativ design keeps your hands cool and safe from an ignited charcoal fire, and at the top, with great ventilation and airflow, you’ll be able to ignite the coals in just 15 to 20 minutes.
Apart from all this, if you pay more attention to its construction material, it is made by a strong stainless steel material, which will support you with proper care and regular cleaning.
- It is an oversize coal basket ideal for large capacity grills.
- It helps in burning coal at the earliest.
- Its handles remain calm and secure even at maximum heat.
- The stainless steel used in it is highly reliable and durable.
- It comes in a compact size and lightweight.
- It can be a bit difficult to manage when fully filled.
- It can be a bit expensive for some.
3. Weber Compact Rapidfire 7447 Chimney Starter
The Weber Compact Rapidfire is a more compact fire starter that is the perfect option to go camping or tailgating trips with your portable grill. According to size, it is 8 inches long and 5.75 inches in diameter and ignites coils within 15 minutes Can do.
Its great design is an ideal choice for small grills or short grilling sessions. It has all the security features that you like to see. Namely, both a cool-touch handle and a protective shield to ensure that your hands are protected while the chimney is in use.
A heavy-duty, aluminated steel shape makes its quality more durable. This chimney starter from Weber provides consumers with superb quality, popularity and ideal price points. This is a reliable purchase, easy to hold.
- Its ribbed handle is comfortable and easy to hold.
- It works well with all types of coal.
- It fits perfectly on Jumbo Joe and Smokey Joe Charcoal Grill.
- It works with a compact design.
- It is very cheap in price.
- It has many vents for airflow.
- A trusted name is associated with it.
- It doesn’t work for large briquettes.
4. Char-Broil Half-Time Charcoal Chimney Starter
The Char-Broil Half-Time Charcoal Starter is designed to heat large amounts of charcoal in just minutes. Like the larger ones, it fires coils at a much faster rate (about 15 minutes) than traditional methods. It is very compact and ideally portable, compared to any other model on the market.
Heat-resistant plastic has been added to its handle, which provides a good moulded grip with spots for each finger as it is very important to have a good grip when you are carrying a bucket of hot coals.
Even if you find it small but it is full 8 ”diameter, so you will not have any problem in loading briquettes or lump charcoal. It has a four-broil flame logo cut-out near the top, which looks quite attractive. Its aluminated steel structure is durable and corrosion-resistant, which will stay with you for a long period.
- A large shield has been added to avoid heat to the hands.
- Moulded plastic has been added to its handle, which keeps hands cool.
- It has multiple vents for consistent airflow.
- It is suitable for large lump charcoal.
- It comes at a reasonable price.
- Not ideal for standard size grills.
- Some users felt the lack of stability.
5. BBQ Dragon Chimney of Insanity Starter
The Barbeque Dragon Charcoal Chimney is the fastest and easiest to fire your grill in just a few minutes. An innovative 90° elbow has been added to one side of the chimney, which will help speed up the flow of air.
With this charcoal chimney starter, you can also add a BBQ Lighter Grill Fan (sold separately) which will eliminate the need for fuel or lighter material. Along with its great construction, a stay-cool nylon handle and a full-length cool shield are also included for extra protection that will keep your hand safety consistent.
You are getting an innovative, versatile product with unprecedented construction that will take your troubles out. Compared to other options, it is more professional and really suits its name and works well.
- Stay-cool nylon handles have been added for hand protection.
- A 90-degree elbow is included for fuel release and rapid flow of air.
- It has the ability to attach the fan.
- A full-length shield that protects your hands from the constant heat.
- It works with high quality.
- This helps in starting fires incredibly easily and quickly.
- You can also use it as a stove.
- It is compact and lightweight.
- For some, it may be small in size, and the budget may be high.
6. BEAU JARDIN Chimney Starter
The Jardin Chimney Starter is made from galvanized steel with a high capacity and anti-corrosion and in which you can hold up to 4 pounds of charcoal at once.
It also has attractive air vents added to the base and side, which helps reduce the time it takes to heat the charcoal. The vents allow wind speed, so oxygen flows through the charcoal heating the flames.
With its superior design, you will be able to heat coal extremely hot in just 15 to 20 minutes. It has a large protective shield fitted with a nylon grip to protect the hand from heatwaves.
This handle is temperature resistant as well as anti-scaling, anti-slip and durable. This chimney holds enough charcoal up to a 22 “grilling surface. Use some abandoned newspapers or other papers below to ignite a fire in this steel canister. The best thing we found, it’s cheap and easy.
- It can hold up to 4-pounds of charcoal.
- It only heats coals within 15-20 minutes.
- It has a nylon holder protected by a durable shield.
- The durable, galvanized steel construction makes it rust-proof.
- An instruction manual is required for assembly with the package.
7. HOMENOTE Rapid Chimney Starter Set
If you are a beginner, then the Homenote Rapid Charcoal Chimney Starter set is made entirely for you. It also includes Lighter Cubes, Air Blower and heat resistant mitts along with chimney so that you can experience an easy and quick grilling process.
This set can definitely speed up the process of burning your pile of coils. It is 11.5 inches long and 7 inches in diameter, so you will have plenty of space nearby to expose a medium to big size pile. Zinc-plated steel has been used in its construction which is completely rust-free.
A wooden handle and a large shield are designed to help prevent hand burns. To adequately maintain the airflow in the chimney, multiple ventilation is designed by which it ignites the coils completely in just 8-10 minutes.
- In addition to the chimney, starter cubes, portable air blowers, and heat resistant bbq gloves are also included.
- Its cool shield and wooden grip are great for hand protection.
- It is a durable, steel construction.
- Its starter cubes are made from 100% natural, non-toxic wood.
- It is at a higher price level than others.
- Its ventilation system can be further improved.
8. Charcoal Companion CC4041 Black Charcoal Starter
Charcoal Companion Chimney may seem simple to you, but it knows how to beginning a charcoal grill or smoker quickly. This charcoal starter provides an attractive look with its heavy-gauge, black stainless steel material.
For added protection, it has a wooden handle paired with a stainless shield that keeps hands away from heat even after continuous use. It provides light to the charcoal quickly & evenly without the need to use lighter fluid and can begin with about 5 pounds of coal within 15 minutes. With this, you can use a light piece of newspaper as your heat source.
It is a completely safe environment, so that the atmosphere around you will always be full of happiness.
- It lights up the charcoal within 15 minutes.
- There is no need to use mild liquids in it.
- Its body comes with a luxurious black finish.
- It is environmentally safe.
- It can hold up to 5 lbs of charcoal at a time.
- Its colour can be clouded by heat.
9. Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter
Weber Rapidfire Chimney Starter is a well-made and quality product that will transform your early days as a professional. It has an attractive, modern, illuminated steel body that is always ready to prevent heat and corrosion.
Its heat resistant thermoplastic handle is comfortable to hold and remains cool to the touch. With its dual handle design, your hands will be able to lift the bucket filled with hot charcoal more control fully. This chimney can handle all types of charcoal and heat them to coals for a 20 to 25-minute grill.
Its main feature is its conical wire grid that holds and ignites charcoal easily. Unlike metal plates, this wire grid allows all the flames to pass through the charcoal from the newspaper, resulting in charcoal lighting quickly and evenly. The charcoal residues due to the wire grid fall into small pieces through the bottom of it. There are no complaints about it that change your mind.
- It is one of the top-rated charcoal starters in the market.
- Its handle remains cool to the touch.
- It heats coal quickly and evenly.
- It is easy to insert with its dual handle design.
- No unnecessary decorative features have been added to it.
- Its heat cover provides complete protection to the hands.
- It is sufficient but not the largest unit.
10. GrillPro 39470 Chimney Starter
The GrillPro 39470 Chimney Starter offers superb function and style with an affordable cost. Its body can hold 2 pounds of charcoal, and it takes just 10 minutes to prepare the coals for cooking food.
With this, you will not need to do lighter fluid and fan, and this starter performs well even in heavy air. After leaving the package, you have to use it directly as it does not require any assembly.
It is a great capacity chimney and is made of durable metal that will provide heat to your grill for a longer time. It has been covered with cold plastic which will always keep your hands away from the heat.
Also, a heat cover has been added between the handle and the chimney that does not allow heat to reach the hands for long.
- It is a good way to heat charcoal quickly.
- There is no need to use mild liquids in it.
- It can be used equally at high temperatures even on windy days.
- It is available at an excellent price.
- A heat protection guard has been added to improve safety.
- It comes with maximum capacity.
- Its metal body is not rust-resistant.
How To Choose The Best Charcoal Chimney Starters?
By comparing between different products, you can certainly make your move towards a better option. But here you will need to keep in mind that on the basis of which factors you can compare products. So let’s know about them, and after a straightforward analysis, we choose the right option.
This is the first requirement of the category of the most important factors. You should always know how much charcoal your chimney can hold. This question depends on the size of your cooker, because the larger your grill, the greater the number of coils you will need to add. Charcoal briquettes or lumps usually use charcoal for the grill. The lump coal is very large, and if you plan to burn it efficiently, a wider diameter chimney will be required.
Working with a chimney starter means holding the hazards in hand. To prevent or minimize these hazards, chimneys are generally combined with safety features. If your starter does not include basic safety features, it can cause a major accident. So we would always advise you that in particular, you should look for a product that has a handle at a safe distance away from the main bin and a protective layer or heat shield between your hand and the heat.
Ventilation and constant flow of air is an important component for any Chimney Starter. Without good ventilation, your charcoal pile may take much time to ignite. Conversely, a properly ventilated starter will provide you with a quick flame, allowing you to prepare your best bbq session to cook a meal quickly.
During this process, your chimney becomes very hot, so you need a metal that can withstand heat and be with you for a long time even after continuous use.
Look for a chimney starter for your arsenal that is limitless as it is a great way to brighten your coals, and with which you can save a few moments for yourself.
If you like me then go with a reputable brand than a cheap branded crap that is worth the extra pair. It may be that the price worries you, but the pleasure is that one of the products you analyzed above has been given with better name and fair price.
Hopefully, after reading this guide, you will have got the answer to all your questions, which you came here in search of. You now know what is right for you, so what is the delay, now choose a great chimney starter for your regular grilling session.
If you have any question left in your mind or want to give your specific opinion related to the products, then we like to hear about it in the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can Charcoal Chimney Size Affect Grilling?
Yes, of course, the height and width of the charcoal chimney can affect your grilling session, because depending on this, the charcoal will burn or ignite more or less evenly.
2. How Long Does It Take For The Charcoal To Burn In The Chimney?
It depends on the design and wants of the chimney, and each product displays different times depending on its design. Apart from this, the size of coal can also affect time. According to a general comparison, it should not take more than about 20 minutes to heat coals in the chimney.
3. How To Start A Charcoal Chimney?
It can be easily ignited with a simple way that requires burning a piece of paper or other fire starters on the bottom of the chimney. The ventilation in the chimney starter acts as a vacuum and allows airflow to enter to provide the correct amount of oxygen, sufficiently helping the fire to rise so the coals will catch fire.